Thursday, August 13, 2009

Spiced Chicken Cacciatore

Tonights meal was a new recipe that I recently found online (http://www.recipezaar.com/). Come to think of it, I don't really think that I have ever made Chicken Cacciatore before. What makes this Chicken Cacciatore a Spiced Chicken Cacciatore and different from others is the addition of curry. I haven't done much with curry (actually had to go out and buy some) but I have had Indian food before and liked it so I figured we were safe. I was right and Matt and I both give this meal a rating of 4 stars (out of 5). My only complaint is that the chicken turned out a little too dry for my liking which very well could have been my fault because I let it cook a little longer than the recipe said to while I was waiting for my spaghetti to finish cooking. Oh well, I still think that it's one that I will be making again!
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 cup mushroom, sliced
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces (uncooked)
2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 (8 oz) package whole wheat spaghetti (uncooked)

Heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms.
Saute until vegetables are tender and mushrooms release juice, about 4 minutes.
Add chicken and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
Add basil, curry powder, salt and pepper; stir to coat.
Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
Transfer spaghetti to four shallow bowls and spoon chicken mixture over top.

Yields about 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1 cup of spaghetti per serving, 8 Weight Watchers points per serving.

420 calories, 5.1 g fat, 4.3g fiber, 60.7g carbohydrates

If you decide to try it out, please let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment