Thursday, August 20, 2009

Barbecue Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes


I am so happy that it is cool enough in my house tonight so that I can cook in the oven! It appears that the crazy humidity we've had these past few days has come to an end (at least for now). I made tonight's meal for the first time a couple of weeks ago and we both immediately knew this would go onto the regular meal list. Meatloaf is yet another thing that I never ate growing up. One year for Matt's birthday, maybe a year or two after we had started dating, I asked him what he wanted me to make him for his birthday dinner, anything at all. He thought for a minute and then said, "meatloaf". "Meatloaf"? EW! I didn't want to do it, but because it was his birthday, I found a recipe and made it for him. And I really liked it. I haven't really made it that often though because that first recipe I found wasn't all too healthy. I recently found this Weight Watchers version on http://www.recipezaar.com/ and was very excited to find that it still tastes just as good in the lower fat version. Paired with some garlic mashed potatoes and a vegetable, it has quickly become one of our new favorites! Matt's official rating is 4 out of 5 stars. Hope you like it just as much!

Barbecue Meatloaf

1 lb 93% lean ground beef
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine meat, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, onion, breadcrumbs, egg whites and seasons of your choice in a large bowl; stir well.
3. Shape mixture into a loaf pan. Spread remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over loaf.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.

Makes 4 servings at 4 WW points per serving

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

8 small uncooked red potatoes, peeled (I left the skin on) and cut into 2-inch chunks
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
1/4 skim milk
2 tablespoons chives, fresh (I used dried because I didn't have fresh)
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

1. Combine potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover; set pan over high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat slightly and boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 8 minutes; drain water from saucepan.
3. Add sour cream, milk and chives to pan; mix until combined
4. Mash mixture with a potato masher until smooth
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Yield about 1/2 cup per serving.
Makes about 8 servings, 3 WW points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment