Wednesday, August 26, 2009

General Tsao's Chicken

Mmmmm, Chinese food....everyone loves Chinese food, right? Tonight's recipe is one that I found on weightwatchers.com back in January but only recently got around to making it. I have probably made it 3 or 4 times now and it has quickly become a favorite. There's just enough spice in it from the red pepper and I love how you get a hint of peanuts from the peanut oil that it's cooked in. Now, I can't tell you if it tastes like the "real" General Tsao's Chicken from a Chinese restaurant because to be completely honest, I have never ordered General Tsao's in a Chinese restaurant. So for those of you that have had the real stuff and decide to try out this recipe, please let me know how close it is to the real thing! Matt gives it 3 1/2 stars out of 5, I would give it 4 1/2, it's definitely one of my faves. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp peanut oil
2 medium scallions, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups cooked white rice, kept hot (I use brown rice)

In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving, makes 4 servings, 6 WW points per serving.

1 comment: