Monday, August 31, 2009

Lobster Stew

We had the pleasure of heading down to Higgins Beach this past weekend for a night of fun and laughter with some close friends of ours. Earlier in the week, Matt said to me, "let's make something really good to bring to Higgins this weekend." We brainstormed for a minute and then Matt came up with the idea that we should try to make a lobster stew. I instantly agreed because I love lobster stew and it's the perfect thing to bring to an oceanfront getaway. Deciding what the make was the easy part, finding a recipe that didn't look too complicated yet sounded like it was going to taste like the "real thing" was the hard part. I must have looked at least 50 recipes online until I found one that I was happy with (found it on http://www.recipezaar.com/). In the end, I think it came out great. Everyone that tried it really seemed to like it although Matt claims that there was something missing from it although he isn't sure what. I'm going to ask his grandmother what she puts in hers when we see her this weekend because she hands down makes the best soups and chowders I have ever had. Now this is in no way low calorie or low fat, but as long as you're not eating it every weekend, I think you'll be OK. Everything is fine in moderation, right?

Ingredients:
2-3 cups cooked lobster meat, chopped
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4-1/3 cup onion, diced finely
1 teaspon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (original blend)
1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup light cream
3 cups milk (I used whole milk)

1. In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
2. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add lobster meat and Mrs. Dash and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Add the evaporated milk slowly. Next add the milk and cream slowly, stirring at the same time.
5. Heat the stew until almost boiling, but do not let it boil!
6. Take off heat and let cool.
7. Refrigerate over night.
8. Heat slowly the next day until hot but not boiling.
9. Serve with oyster crackers or fresh bread.

I noticed that a lot of the other recipes said to save the tomalley and the roe while you pick the lobsters, so we did that and I cooked both in a little bit of the butter before I added the rest of the butter and the onions. Matt also had a great idea to pick up some lobsters that were already cooked on his way home from work, so that certainly saved some time as well. The only other suggestion I will make is to make sure you heat it very slowly and do not let it boil, you don't want it to curdle!

I am also including a picture of an appetizer that my friend Kendall made that is so easy yet so delicious. I will certainly be making this myself in the future!

Take some roasted red peppers, some fresh basil and some pine nuts and mix them together with a little extra virgin olive oil. Serve on mini slices of french bread that have been topped with spreadable goat cheese. Yummy!

Lastly, here are a couple of pictures from Higgins Beach, such a gorgeous spot!













No comments:

Post a Comment