Monday, October 5, 2009

Mushroom and Blue Cheese Turkey Burgers with Baked Onion Rings and a Guest Judge

A couple of weeks ago, while the weather was still pretty warm, we were able to have one of my closest friends, Dyana, come for a visit. When I talked to her earlier in the day to figure out if she would be there for dinner or not, she immediately said, "Yes and can I please be a guest judge for your food blog for dinner tonight?!?" Well, how could I say no to that? I didn't dare to make something completely new in case it came out really bad (the pressure of having a guest judge and all) so I decided to go with a recipe that I found earlier this summer when I was still trying to find the perfect burger recipe. These Mushroom and Blue Cheese Turkey Burgers were by far our favorites of the summer. I brought them to a BBQ at our friend's house and got rave reviews from there, so I had a good feeling that Dy would like them as well. I did pair the burgers with Oven Baked Onion Rings which was a new recipe that I had never tried and I think they came out really good. My only complaint was that they seemed to get cold awfully fast but I don't know how to fix that except to eat them faster! Dy gave this meal a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Thanks for coming to visit G and for being a guest judge!!

Mushroom Blue Cheese Turkey Burgers
1 pound lean ground turkey (93%)
8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup blue cheese

Mix all ingredients together and form into burgers, I usually get 5-6 good sized ones. Cook on the grill, about 10 minutes on each side. I top each one with a little extra blue cheese. I don't know the points value for these but could probably figure it out. I think it would comparable to other turkey burgers I have made which are usually around 5 points per burger when served with a low calorie bun.

Oven Baked Onion Rings
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup plain dried breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with Pam cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl add egg whites.
4. In a plastic baggie or on wax paper, mix together flour, salt and cayenne pepper
5. Place bread crumbs in a separate dish or on wax paper.
6. Separate onion slices in rings, dip into flour mixture and toss to coat, then into the egg mixture and then into bread crumbs and place on baking sheet.
7. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Turn rings over and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.

Makes 6 servings, 2 WW points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment