Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Potato and Broccoli Soup in Bread Bowls

This recipe is one that I found on my good friend Kristina's food blog (http://www.kristinasfoodblog.blogspot.com) earlier this year and knew right away that I wanted to make it. Since then, I think I've made it 4 or 5 times and it is definitely a perfect recipe for when the weather starts to turn a little colder and you feel like eating more stews, soups and chowders. I don't know the WW points value for this one, I'm guessing it would be a little on the high side because of the bread bowls, so I wouldn't really call it low fat or low calorie. If you didn't serve it in the bread bowls, I don't think it would be too bad at all. Kristina has tried using different flavored bread bowls which I think is a great idea but I haven't been able to find any at my grocery store. I like to save the tops of the bread bowls for the leftovers, it's even yummier the next day! Matt gives this meal 3.5 out of 5 stars, I give it 4.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup flour
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium broccoli tree, chopped
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup light cream
1 bag (2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbsp Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend
Bread bowls for serving

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/2 cup of the broth. Set aside. This will be used later to thicken the soup.
2. In a large stockpot, saute the onion in the olive oil until soft.
3. Add remaining broth, potatoes, and broccoli
4. Bring to a nice simmer over medium heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
5. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes.
6. Pour in the flour mixture and stir in. Continue to stir over medium-high heat until soup thickens.
7. Pour in the milk and light cream, stirring to mix.
8. Add cheese and stir until melted.
9. Stir in Mrs. Dash.
10. Serve warm in bread bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment