Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chicken Tetrazzini

The first time I had Chicken Tetrazzini was at one of Matt's family reunions not too long after we had started dating. His Great Aunt Rita brought it and I immediately fell in love with this delicious dish that reminds me a bit of Chicken Alfredo because of the sauce. The 5th Harry Potter book had just come out the night before and while I knew I should be social since it was one of my first big "meet Matt's family events", I really just wanted to sit in the living room by myself with my Harry Potter book and a plate of Chicken Tetrazzini. I was so happy when I found the recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookbook and was even happier when Betty Crocker gave me a way to make it a "Lighter Chicken Tetrazzini". I will write the ingredients as the original recipe calls for them and then will tell you how to make the lighter version which is how I always make it now. Matt gives this recipe 4.5 out of 5 stars, definitely one his favorites. If you have never had Chicken Tetrazzini before, I highly recommend giving it a try! Enjoy!
1 package (7 ounces) spaghetti, broken into thirds
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
2 tablespoons dry sherry or water
2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Cook spaghetti as directed on package.
3. While spaghetti is cooking, melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and whipping cream. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
4. Drain spaghetti. Stir spaghetti, sherry, chicken and mushrooms into sauce.
5. Pour spaghetti mixture into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until bubbly in center.

To make a lighter version, decrease butter to 2 tablespoons and Parmesan cheese to 1/4 cup; substitute fat-free skim milk for the whipping cream. I also use whole wheat spaghetti in mine.

The lighter version makes 6 servings at 7 WW points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment