Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Asian Noodle Bowl

Ahhhh, Ramen Noodles, how you bring back memories of late night buffets in the Pi Phi house during college. One of the sisters actually used to eat a package raw while another was cooking on the stove which I never quite understood but always thought was pretty funny. I can honestly say that I never thought I would eat Ramen Noodles again after college. At .10 cents a package, it certainly was a bargain back then, but I'm a working girl now and certainly I can do a little better than Ramen, right? But when I saw this recipe in my Pampered Chef "It's Good for You" cookbook and saw that you use a package of Oriental flavored Ramen to make it, I was intrigued. Ramen can be a part of a recipe that is healthy and good for you? All of the other ingredients in it sounded good so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Matt was very skeptical as well, he had pretty much written off the meal before he had even tried it (so you can imagine how much I was laughing to myself when he ate 2 big bowls :) In the end, I think we both really enjoyed it (Matt gave it 3 out of 5 stars), maybe not one of our favorites, but I would make it again. And to the Ramen Noodles, it was kind of nice to "see" you again, thanks for bringing back some memories!

Ingredients:
2 cups diced cooked chicken
2 cups thinly sliced bok coy
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions with tops
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup julienne-cut carrots, 1 inch long
1 1-inch piece peeled fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
3 cups water
1 can (14 oz) 100% fat free vegetable broth
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 package (3 oz) oriental-flavor ramen noodles

1. Dice chicken and thinly slice bok coy and green onions; set aside. Slice mushrooms, cut carrots into julienne strips. Peel and finely chop gingerroot and crush the garlic.
2. Place mushrooms, carrots, gingerroot and garlic in a large pot. Add water, broth, soy sauce and seasoning packet from ramen noodles; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, boy choy, onions and noodles. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

Makes 8 one cup servings, 3 WW points per serving, 130
calories, 3g fat, 1g fiber.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting . . . I had all but given up on the Ramen Noodle . . . BUT with a couple modifications this would make for a great camping (Dutch Oven) meal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete