Thursday, October 15, 2009

Shrimp and Linguine

I made this recipe for the first time last night and all I can say is, WOW! Definitely a new favorite and definitely one that I will be making again soon! I found it in my Pampered Chef "It's Good For You" recipe book, it's the first recipe I have tried out of this new book. You would seriously never know that this is a low-fat recipe, the sauce is very thick and creamy just like a regular Alfredo sauce would be. I didn't have fresh Parmesan cheese so I used the grated kind from a jar, next time I will buy some fresh to see if it makes that much of a difference. I also used whole wheat linguine which is healthier for you and I think more filling. It seems like a lot of ingredients when you first look at it, but it's very easy to make, especially if you do all of the prep work before you start to cook. This would be a great recipe to make when you have company, I think they would be impressed, especially when they find out that it's a light entree! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3/4 pound uncooked shell-on medium shrimp (about 20-30), peeled, deveined and tails removed
3/4 cup coarsely chopped carrots (2 medium)
2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup sliced green onions with tops
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
8 ounces uncooked linguine
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Peel and devein shrimp; remove tails. Coarsely chop carrots. Dice tomatoes and slice green onions. Grate Parmesan cheese.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to pot, cover and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet. Add shrimp, carrots and pressed garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turns pink; remove from skillet and keep warm.
4. Gently heat sour cream and evaporated milk in same skillet over low heat while whisking it (do not boil). Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add shrimp mixture, tomatoes, green onions, basil, salt and pepper; mix gently. Pour shrimp and vegetable mixture over pasta; toss gently to coat. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Makes 4 servings, 6 WW points per serving, 300 calories, 8g fat, 2g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment