Thursday, October 22, 2009

Texas-Style Casserole

So as I'm sitting here getting ready to write about this new recipe I recently tried, I look at the recipe again and notice that it says breakfast on it. Ooops, my bad since I recently made it for dinner and my blog is titled "What's for Dinner?" not "What's for Breakfast?". Oh well, people have breakfast for dinner all of the time, right? I found this recipe on weightwatchers.com, I don't belong to their online service so I don't have access to all of the online recipes but they do put a few out to the general public and sometimes I stalk their site to find the new free ones. After making it, I understand why they say that the frozen peppers and corn need to be thawed before you use them. I didn't do this because I didn't really think it was that important and as a result, my casserole was a little more watery than I think it should have been. All in all, I really enjoyed it, I can't remember how many stars Matt gave it, 3.5 out of 5 I think. He has told me that he needs to start expanding the rating system from 5 to 10 stars because 5 just doesn't give him the flexibility that he needs when judging my creations. I say he can do whatever he'd like as long as he keeps being willing to try the food that I make!

Ingredients:

1 spray olive oil cooking spray
2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (maybe this should have been my first clue that it was a breakfast recipe :)
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup frozen pepper strips, thawed
8 oz casual gourmet turkey sausage - mild Italian or other brand, thinly sliced. (I could find any turkey sausage so I used turkey kielbasa)
1 cup fat-free skim milk
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray (I don't have a 9 inch one, so mine is a little bigger and it worked just fine)

Place potatoes and then vegetables in baking dish; top with sausage.
In a small bowl, beat together milk, eggs, salt and pepper; pour over sausage and then sprinkle with cheese.
Bake until casserole is hot and cheese is browned, about 45 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.
5 WW points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment