Sunday, November 1, 2009

Creamy Spinach Ravioli

I am on a roll with this new Pampered Chef cookbook, cooking yet another tasty dinner tonight. Seriously, I know I said this before but I am so impressed. How many times do you buy a new cookbook, maybe try one recipe from it and then have it sit on a bookshelf and never even look at it again? Definitely not the case with this cookbook and even though I feel like a walking advertisement for Pampered Chef, I don't care, you should go out and buy this cookbook.

I think I have only ever made ravioli once or twice before and have only used traditional tomato based sauces. I love the sauce for this ravioli with the spinach, mushrooms and red pepper, so different and delicious. The recipe calls for light cheese-filled ravioli which I had a hard time finding. In the end I ended up buying Hannaford's Nature's Place brand all natural Whole Wheat Medallions with portabella mushrooms and cheese. I figured they were even better than light cheese-ravioli because of the portabella mushrooms in them instead of just cheese. I don't make vegetarian meals that often and was hoping my husband wouldn't notice because he is definitely a "meat and potatoes" type of guy but as I was cooking, he came into the kitchen to see what I was concocting and the first thing out of his mouth was, "where's the meat?" In the end though, he really enjoyed eating it and even without any meat, he gave this recipe 7 out of 10 stars.

Ingredients:
1 package (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 package (9 oz each) refrigerated light cheese-filled ravioli
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
1/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 package (10 oz) frozen creamed spinach in low-fat sauce, thawed
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Slice mushrooms, chop onion and dice red pepper.
2. Cook ravioli according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray; add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, garlic and black pepper. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Reduce heat to low; add cream cheese and evaporated milk. Stir until cream cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in creamed spinach. Simmer over low heat 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Pour vegetable mixture of ravioli; stir gently. Serve immediately. Serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Makes 6 servings, 7 WW points per serving, 340 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment