Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Beef Tamale Bake

Well, it was bound to happen. I finally found a recipe in my new favorite Pampered Chef cookbook that I didn't like. I debated whether or not to blog about recipes that aren't a success but my husband says that I should because that way I can warn people :) I don't really know if I need to warn people, but I think it is important to blog about the new recipes that I cook, even if I don't end up liking them because not everyone has the same tastes and someone out there might make also make it and really like it. Also, I can't expect to love every new recipe that I try, that's just not realistic. So here it is, the Beef Tamale Bake. I had such high hopes for it, I love cornbread and was really hoping that it would taste just like chili on top of cornbread. Unfortunately, it did not. One of my biggest complaints about this casserole was that the cornmeal made it taste very gritty. The flavors themselves weren't too bad, I just couldn't get past the texture with the all of the grittiness. If you end up trying it and liking it, please let me know, there is always a possibility that I screwed something up along the way during preparation!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons 70% vegetable oil spread, melted
1/2 pound lean 95% ground beef
1 jar (16 oz) thick and chunky salsa
1 can (15 1/2 oz) red beans, drained and rinsed
1 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray deep dish casserole with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt. Using a whisk, whisk water, egg whites and vegetable oil spread into cornmeal mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into casserole dish.

2. Place ground beef in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles; drain, if necessary.

3. Add salsa, beans, garlic, chili powder and cumin to beef; mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Spoon beef mixture evenly over batter to within 1/2 inch of edge of baker. Bake 20-23 minutes or until crust is set. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.

Makes 8 servings, 5 WW points per serving. 270 calories, 8g fat, 5g Fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment